Frequently Asked Questions


What exactly is an emotional support animal?

An emotional support animal is an animal that provides support and comfort to a person with an emotional or a psychological disability. This can be any type of animal, although most emotional support animals are either dogs or cats. It is different from a service dog, which is trained and used for specific needs such as visual impairment or physical impairments.


Does my emotional support animal need specific training?

Your emotional support animal does not require any specific training to be a qualified ESA. However, your animal does need to be trained to behave properly in public settings, therwise your ESA letter may be dismissed. Your letter will only work if your animal is well-behaved, as
well; an overly loud or violent animal will not be allowed, even with a legitimate ESA letter.


My residence says they do not allow pets. Can I not have an ESA here?

If your animal is a valid emotional support animal with a valid letter from a licensed mental health professional and the animal is well-behaved, then you can have your animal with you. This is even if the residence does not normally allow pets.


How can I qualify for an ESA? What disabilities are ESAs for?

If you have a disability from emotional/psychological conditions, you can qualify for an ESA. This includes disabilities such as depression, anxiety, phobias, panic attacks, bipolar disorder (or other mood disorders), and other emotional/psychological conditions.


What do I need to legally have an emotional support animal?

You only need a letter from a licensed mental health professional. See our page here for details


Where can I get a letter to make my ESA legal and legitimate?

You can get a letter from a licensed mental health professional here.


How do I tell the airline/landlord about my ESA?

It’s always best to notify the airline at least two days before your flight about your ESA. This is so they can be prepared for your animal with seating arrangements, if necessary. You should tell your landlord before signing your agreement about your ESA, although this isn’t required; you can get an emotional support animal even after you have been living at a residence, as long as you get the proper letter and your animal is well-behaved.


Can I take my ESA to places other than my residence and airplanes?

Emotional support animals are limited to being allowed in only residences and on flights. Find out more details here.